Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Christmas Away From Home

Christmas in my home is like at many other homes; we all have the same routines we do every year. We all know what is supposed to happen, but we are still very excited because there is the surprise in the evening with the opening of gifts. In Norway you celebrate on the 24th with the gifts and everything. It is a time of the year when family come together and have a nice time. For us these last years it has been my sister coming back from France, my brother coming home from Åsgårdsstrand (about 4 hours away from Mesnali), and me coming home from RCN. This year my brother came back from Åsgårdsstrand, my sister came back from Poland where she studies medicine, but I did not come back from India. This was my first Christmas away from home, my first Christmas away from my family and many of my friends. For me, a person who loves Christmas because of the traditions we have, this was very different than what I am used to.



Aslak and Trine went and got a Christmas tree! Quite creative :)


I had Christmas dinner at Nisha’s whilst watching a cricket match between India and Sri Lanka. Fortunately, seeing as I am in India, India was doing well. Soon after dinner, Aslak and Trine calls and say they have tea and cake ready at the flat. It was a nice surprise, so I went over to the flat and I finally felt a little of that good old Christmas mood floating through my veins. Bendik called as well which was a really nice surprise, and after we watched a movie I called home. It was a pleasant evening indeed, but nothing like Christmas at home in white winter land.


However, one Christmas had to be the first one away from home. Perhaps it was good to have it in a place where the day is not given any attention, because when I celebrate it next time away from home in a place where it is given attention; that will not feel like such a drastic difference. Imagine if I had celebrated in the U.S. this year, I would have missed home because it would be a Christmas away from home. But when I in the future celebrate somewhere else, I’ll be glad that there is at least a proper celebration.

Christmas this year was different, but still a nice evening; a good experience to put in my backpack.

No comments:

Post a Comment